Two fundamental factors that influence the overall appearance of a smile are the teeth and gums. Are your gums placed too low or too high on your teeth? Then you can opt for Gum Contouring surgery. Gum Contouring /gum reshaping /tissue sculpting is a cosmetic dental practice. The process evens out an uneven gum line and gives you a beautiful smile to flaunt. The process is performed by a Dentist or a Periodontist.
What Causes Uneven Gums?
- Gums that engulf a huge part of your teeth can make your teeth appear small. A gummy smile can lead to self-consciousness. This may be the consequence of genetics, any specific health issue, or intake of certain prescribed drugs.
- Gums that are very high and make your teeth look long are usually a cause of gum recession. It can result in severe dental issues like decay and tooth loss. Gum recession may also detect periodontal disease.
Nowadays dentists utilize scalpels, lasers, and radiosurgery to perform the gum contouring process. Ask your trusted dentist which technique would be apt for you.
Usually, dentists use a pen and make a line to mark the new gum line. In this manner, you can see how much gum will be removed accurately. You can also visualize how your gum line will be reshaped.
Your dentist applies a local anesthetic to numb the site. Then he/she uses a soft tissue laser to remove the excess gum tissue. The laser also seals the tissue to build the perfect shape and stops ongoing bleeding.
At times, the bone at the front of the tooth’s root must also be taken out during gum contouring. This is done to get the best long-term results. The process can take as little as a few minutes based on the complexity of the case.
When you have too little gums, the dentist adds gum tissue. To add a gum line, the dentist grafts the patient’s gum tissue or uses sterile donor tissue. This enables the patient’s gum line to be crafted into a more appealing shape.
What is the recovery time like?
This actually depends on the type of tools utilized to perform the process. However, it may take a couple of weeks for your gums to entirely heal. Your dentist will instruct you on what you should follow to quicken the recovery process. Here are some general tips:
- Take rest and limit your activities after your surgery.
- Ease your pain by taking an over-the-counter pain reliever prescribed by your dentist.
- Never take aspirin. It causes bleeding.
- Consume soft and cool foods for the first few days after surgery. Example: eggs, pasta, yogurt, soft vegetables, and ice cream.
- Stay away from spicy foods and anything with seeds until your gums totally heal.
- Implement your dentist’s suggestions on when and how to brush your teeth during the healing time.
- Use a gentle, cleansing mouthwash that destroys most germs on contact without the burn of alcohol on sensitive gums.
If you detect extreme swelling or bleeding, or you face any difficulties after the process, call your dentist immediately.
Now, if you’re looking for a ‘Dentist near me’ in Cypress, TX, then surely call us at Emmy Dental. Your Dentist in Cypress, Dr. Shannon Pham performs the best Gum Contouring treatment and renders you the perfect smile you wish to achieve.